Last Updated on10 minutes to read
Last week I went to a new dentist to get a checkup. I was giving her my contact details, and she inquired about what kind of work I do. Once I was done explaining she asked me “How do you attract new customers?” This is a question I often get asked since I’m in the marketing field and attracting new clients is my line of work.
Getting new customers is the part that frustrates most business owners. For instance, if you’re a doctor, you needn’t search for new patients, they come to you. But, this is not the case for most businesses. Attracting new customers is undeniably baffling.
Most entrepreneurs started their businesses because they love the work they do, not because they fancy selling and business development. But, your business won’t survive if you’re not good at attracting new customers.
So how do you attract new customers?
1. Set goals for attracting new customers
Setting goals is critical to any business. Even though it may seem like a draining task, it can actually motivate you. Remember these points while you set your goals
- Write down everything you want to accomplish. Have a brainstorming session so that you can create a complete list
- Analyze each point and determine its feasibility
- Prioritize the goals on the list
- Set a time limit to meet every goal
- Start with short-term goals so that they can help you to achieve your long-term ones
2. Know your customers
You cannot succeed in the market if you don’t know who your customers are. So before moving ahead with any plans, develop a buyer persona. This is nothing but a profile of your company’s ideal customer. Experienced marketers rely on this information to target their marketing. Creating a buyer persona is a great equalizer because it allows companies to improve their targeting. When you prepare and apply this correctly, it will help you to get more leads.
3. Know your best channels to attract new customers
4. Understand the buying process
Also, know how your customers reach you to purchase your product. When you have understood this, you will be able to pinpoint where you’re lacking. If you find this tough to figure out, find answers to the questions below.
- How do customers find your website? Is it via social media or other platforms?
- What do they do once they land on your page?
- What content do they go through before they make a purchase?
5. Employ talented staff
It’s no secret that great employees make a great business. One good employee will help your company get 10 customers. On the contrary, a bad one can drive away those 10 customers and, you will need to hire more employees to regain the lost customers. Furthermore, you cannot single-handedly achieve the goals you have in mind. For that, you will need skilled, experienced and trained professionals. So, find the right employees, and they will set the stage for your vibrant growth.
6. Know your competitors
Competitive analysis has become an essential part of any business. Knowing your competitors does not mean stealing their ideas. It’s all about knowing their strengths and weaknesses. Knowing about them will help you become confident in your approach. While analyzing your competitors, you must know what you’re looking for and how it can help your business. So,
- Analyze industry reports
- Analyze their website and SEO strategy
- Analyze your competitor’s strengths and weaknesses on social media
- Analyze their content marketing strategy
- Conduct a survey among their competitors
7. Weigh in on your website
“Is the quality of my site good?” is a question that every person who owns a website must ask themselves if they want to attract new customers. Most websites have flaws, and it’s mainly due to the lack of quality resources. The ease of use of your website plays an integral part, as websites are becoming more and more interactive. The main aim of identifying this is to find out if users can convey messages and make a purchase through your site quickly. You can also use tools to test your website’s usability. Remember that your website layout should be uncluttered for the greatest ease of use. If you’re new to the web, perhaps try out a service that can help you start your web presence, like FirstSiteGuide. Also, make sure that your website projects a consistent brand image and tone on every page, that aligns with all of your other marketing materials.
8. Use direct response marketing
Direct response marketing is a form of marketing that gets potential customers to complete specific, quick actions on the spot. You’ll want to use direct response marketing to get potential customers to opt into your email list, or give other contact information, via a lead capture form. This way, you can reach them through methods like newsletters and outreach, and nurture them towards making a purchase. The key here is to meet their needs through your messaging, and show your potential customers that you offer them value. Think about giving free information, like an ebook, in exchange for contact info. And be sure to target your messaging to your ideal audience’s main pain points.
9. Leverage social media
The one place where your customers are most active is on social media. It is also considered to be one of the most cost-effective ways to influence your customer base and attract new customers. If you use social media platforms in the right way, it will give you the opportunity to get in front of a large audience within a short time. Take a look at this infographic from iDigic to understand the potential of these platforms. When you focus on building relationships through social media, it will help magnify your marketing plans and trigger a loyal following.
So, how do you attract new customers through social media?
- Identify which social media sites your existing and desired customers are active on, and research those platforms.
- Create company profiles on those social networking sites.
- Post engaging content related to your business and industry. Try to focus on other trending topics as well.
- Make sure you use relevant keywords associated with your company while posting.
- Listen and respond to feedback.
10. Create compelling content
No matter how strong your strategy is, the stuff you publish is what people are going to talk about. One of the reasons why your content isn’t well-received could be because you don’t possess enough knowledge about your niche.
Your main content goal should be to position yourself as an expert in your field, so people are more likely to trust you. For content to excel, you have to develop a technique that works every time. Keep these tips in mind:
- Always choose a topic that is relevant to your audience before you start to write.
- Whatever topic you write on, make sure it offers value to people.
- Answer the questions of your audience: solve their problems and you’ll gain their trust. This will make them more likely to remember you if they stand to benefit from your products or services.
- Know the difference between top, middle, and bottom of funnel content, to reach potential customers in different stages of consideration. Write all of these types of content—write on both general and more specific topics.
- Offer your take on trending topics within your industry.
11. Offer something for free, or at a discounted rate
People love getting something for free, or for less than the asking price. So, implementing introductory offers is a great way to attract new customers. Consider these examples:
- E-commerce: Discount off of the first purchase, when a new customer signs up for your email list
- Service industries: Discounts or credit towards the first service
- Subscriptions: Free one-month trial
- Software: Free trial of premium service, or free version with limited features
12. Form partnerships
Consider forming partnerships with other businesses related to your niche, or that reach the same audience as yours, that don’t directly compete with you. This way, you can refer clients to each other, giving each of you a new, reliable source of customers that fit your ideal persona.
13. Start a referral program
Your existing customers are your best advocates. They already know the benefits of your business, and if they’re happy with what you have to offer, they’re probably already sharing you with their friends. So, why not use your existing customers to attract new customers, through the power of customer referrals?
Referral programs make it easy for customers to directly share your business with their friends, in just a few clicks or taps. Since those referred friends trust the opinions of their peers, they’re more likely to become your new customers (plus, they’re more likely to remain loyal for longer.)
The best referral programs use dual-sided rewards, to sweeten the pot for both your existing customers and the friends they refer. These programs offer a reward for the referred customer to use towards their first purchase. Then, they reward the existing customer for successfully referring someone to you who makes their first purchase. This makes these referral programs an even more effective way to attract new customers!
14. Formulate a quarterly strategy
Once you have all the resources in place, it’s time for you to create a quarterly strategy to attract new customers. It will give you enough time to track the progress you are making, and you won’t feel overwhelmed while executing your plan. Every step in this plan must be framed in such a way that it supports the goals you wrote down in step one.
15. Stick to your plan
Most companies take the time to research and formulate a plan. And they wait for a month or two to know if it’s productive. If it doesn’t go according to plan, then all the work they invested in coming up with the plan goes out the window. Bear in mind that uncertainties are bound to happen, and don’t be discouraged by the lack of results. If you let a small hindrance keep you from going forward, then you will never see the results of any plan you formulated.
Conclusion for Attracting New Customers
I can guarantee that it won’t be as easy as it is for a brand like Starbucks where you become a customer just by having coffee daily. Brands face many challenges when it comes to acquiring new customers. So streamline as many processes as you can and provide additional services to satisfy your customers.
You must present your brand in a way that will attract new clients and also keep them coming back. There are many ways to attract new customers and to hold their attention. Target the right prospects and offer them something that is informative and entertaining.